NEW NARS HOLIDAY 2013 CAMPAIGN: AD OFFENDING MANY AND ADVOCATING THE ABUSE OF WOMEN?

What do you think of the advertisement shown above? Really look at it...

Personally, I think its a great PR move to get everyone talking about the ad and brand. The brand being NARS. This ad depicts a seemingly naked woman faced down in the grass with what appears to be a black eye. This ad appears on a gift box for the holiday 2013 "Splendor in the Grass" collection and there is another item in the collection dubbed "Crime of Passion". These collections are collaboration with Guy Bourdin (known for racy photography). I know, I know... Why on earth would a reputable company such as NARS create such a shocking and in your face advertisement? That in some way touches on domestic violence or the abuse of women to say the least. Well, its SHOCKING, its IN YOUR FACE and we are all talking about it. You cant read too much into this ad. Shock value is valuable. Plus, NARS being the well built company it is can take risks of this nature. They get a buzz going and apologize (trust me its coming!), they also get all the free publicity before hand.

There is a campaign against NARS because of this ad, #NOTBUYINGIT. A boycott of the brand. I love my NARS products and will continue to use the ones I have and plan to purchase more NARS products in the future. I have empathy for people who are abused. Looking at the ad I cant help but think people are reaching by saying NARS advocates the abuse of women.

How are you guys feeling about this daring ad? Glamorizing violence or just plain glamour?

Thanks for stopping by!

For all PR inquiries contact: pr.jonellecouture@gmail.com

Comments